We can offer assistance in administering the estates of those who have passed away.
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
In straightforward cases, this will take between 3 and 6 hours work at £200 per hour. Total costs are therefore estimated in the region of £720 – £1400 (inclusive of VAT) plus the disbursements costs below.
It is usually the case that higher value estates are more complex to deal with. If the estate is valued between £150,000 – £1m, there may be an additional fee calculated at between 0.25-1% of the value of the gross estate.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, costs will be at the higher end.
We will handle the full process for you. This quote is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 5 bank or building society accounts with no more tha 2 institutions
- There are no other intangible assets
- There are 1-4 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims made against the estate
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. Disbursements which are required:-
- Probate application fee of £155.00
- £7.00 swearing of the oath (per executor)
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary)
Potential additional costs
- If there is no will there are may be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with. We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
- If the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds)
- If any additional copies of the grant are required, they will cost £1.50.
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 3-6 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6 -12 weeks. Usually, assets cannot be collected until the grant has been issued, but in some instances it may be possible to start this process without the grant. Once the assets are all collected, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 1-2 weeks.
What we will do for you:-
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and provide you with the original or a copy
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate (including any property at additional cost)